Friday, February 2, 2007

January 18, 2007 (Thursday)

I hand-fed Ashley today. She tries to throw-up when we give her the prednisone pill. I don’t know if the lump is swelling again or if she just chokes on the pill or saliva. When we go to give her the pill lately, she begins to salivate and froth to the point of drooling uncontrollably. Either an upset stomach (retching with the thought of taking the pill) or trying to swallow the pill makes her try to throw up. She usually doesn’t, but she does gag really hard. Her tongue turns dark red and comes out quite far. I try to watch the color of her tongue in case she starts to choke to the point of a blue tongue. Of course, I don’t know what I’d do if she did, really.

We are starting to wonder if her constipation isn’t because she’s not getting enough to drink. She usually gets a little to drink on her own after I feed her, but she, then, goes a long time without drinking. Ashley doesn’t seem to have a problem peeing, but I have heard, oddly enough, peeing has to do with eating and pooping has to do with drinking. Ashley managed to get 4 small balls of poop out tonight after her second dose of hairball medicine.

Dr. Harris’ office called while we were at Dr. Wellman’s office picking up prednisone chews for Cindy, Ashley’s sister. They want us to bring her in tomorrow, Friday, for a chemo treatment. The one we’ve been waiting for. I’ll try to mention about the drinking, the constipation, and her gagging when we give her the pill and when she strains to poop and sometimes when I pink her up to feed her.

No comments: