Friday, February 2, 2007

January 22, 2007 (Monday)

I hand-fed Ashley today. She seemed to eat breakfast fairly easily and willingly.

Ashley rested most of the day quietly – not like yesterday. As mentioned yesterday, she did not gag too much today. She seemed to rest peacefully on the couch.

Ashley ate supper fairly well, but didn’t finish it. She ate most of the ¼ can I gave her. I hand-fed her, though.

She got a couple little drinks today. She also peed a couple times.

Late, about 1 a.m., Ashley got up and seemed a little restless. I led her to the litter box and she peed. Shortly after that she gagged her usual two times. I tried to offer her some food incase she was hungry. She had a couple bites but didn’t want anymore. I offered her some water but she only took a lick or two. I noticed her breathing was a little heavy and different.

I tried to listen closely. It seems as though she sounds like she has some fluid, congestion or something, as she makes a slight sound similar to that when breathing. As I observed her breathing, I noticed her mouth was very slightly, and not with every breath, going in and out. I know with her sister’s asthma, that this is a breathing difficulty, as they are breathing through their mouths. It means they are not getting adequate air through their nostrils. I am wondering if the lump in her throat is pressing against her esophagus in such a way it is hindering her breathing. Or, if the cancer has possibly spread to her lungs. (Imagining the worse case scenario.) Yesterday, I mentioned that I noticed a “hollowing” of her hind quarters. I wonder if animals experience the same issues as people when they do not get adequate oxygen going to all areas of the body. When Dad became sick with breathing difficulties, he lost weight and mass and also had a “hollowing” and skin and bones look to him. I’m not so sure any treatment is going to work at this point.

I had my hopes up because the vets said there was an 85% chance of recovery. However, this is so new, there’s not enough info out there – or so it seems. If Ashley id not breathing better tomorrow, I’ll have to call Dr. Harris’ office for advice or at least to let them know how she’s doing.

No comments: